city at night

city at night

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Summer of 2012 - Liechtenstein

When we left Weisstannen, I realized that we were a short distance from the tiny nation of Liechtenstein.  I asked my cousin if we could take a detour and make a short visit.

Liechtenstein is tucked between Switzerland and Austria.  It is only 62 square miles in size, and has a population of 35,000 people.  It is a remnant of medieval times when the map of Europe was carved into small principalities and duchies.
 
(image from web)


We spent an hour or two in Vaduz, the capital of the country.  We wandered around a bit, and I bought some postage stamps as souvenirs for friends. (Liechtenstein is famous for its stamps.)  I guess I was a bit disappointed with the country.  I was imagining a quaint story-book village.  The prince's castle is perched above the town, and there are a few picturesque older buildings, but Vaduz is, for the most part, a modern, prosperous town.  Because of its status as a tax haven, Liechtenstein is an extremely prosperous country, and is a center for banking and corporate offices.





At least I can add another country to the list of places that I have visited.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Liechtenstein is a contender for the "World's Most Boring Country" award.

    That said, I was lucky enough to have been there during National Day, held once each August and the only day when the Royal Castle's grounds are open to the public. The prince provides free beer to all who visit (really!), and there's a nice fireworks show in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you picked the right day to visit! I guess some of the countryside outside of Vaduz is very pretty, but the capital, although as clean as a whistle, is lacking in picturesqueness.
      ¡Saludos!

      Delete